Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo has been forced to leave a Dominican Republic hotel where a tourist mysteriously died.
Robert Bell Wallace, 67, was named as the fourth person to die on the Caribbean island in the last two months.
Bell Wallace had been staying at the luxury Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana – where Rojo, 29, and his family had been staying this week.
Rojo, who is expected to leave Old Trafford this summer, was unaware of the shock deaths having been on a two-day fishing trip.
The United centre back, who has shared images of his holiday on social media, has now checked out of the hotel and is continuing his break elsewhere.
A source revealed:
“He is just being cautious. He doesn’t wish to take any chances.”
American tourist Bell Wallace became sick and urinated blood after having a single whisky from his room’s minibar on April 11. He died in hospital three days later.
Three other American tourists were found dead in their rooms in another hotel on the Caribbean island at the end of May.
Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, from Pennsylvania, died on May 25 after she had a drink from her minibar at the Bahia Principe La Romana.
Five days later an engaged couple from Maryland, Edward Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Day, 49, were also found dead in their room at the same resort.
Dominican authorities said post-mortem examinations revealed all four tourists died of natural causes.
The families are now looking for answers.
Mr Bell Wallace had been in the country for his step-son’s wedding.
His heartbroken niece, Chloe Arnold, told Fox News:
“He was fine.”
‘He and his wife arrived there at around midnight on April 10. On April 11 he had scotch from the minibar.”
“He started feeling very sick, he had blood in his urine and stool right afterwards.”
She said a hotel doctor had checked Mr Wallace, then decided on April 13 he needed to be hospitalised. He died on April 14.
Dominican authorities have yet to give the family a cause of death, Ms Arnold said.
“We have so many questions,’ she said. ‘We don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”
The US State Department told Fox News:
“We can confirm the death of a US citizen in April 2019 in the Dominican Republic.
‘We offer our sincerest condolences to the family for their loss.”
‘Out of respect for the family during this difficult time, we do not have additional information to provide.”
Another woman who stayed at the Bahia Principe this week claimed that she ‘vomited blood’ after drinking a 7-UP from her minibar.
Awilda Montes, from New York, US, believes the 7-Up she drank at the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville resort, in the Dominican Republic, contained bleach.
Awilda initially thought it was an accident, but she now thinks she may have been spiked, following the deaths of three people at the resort last month.
She told CBS News:
“I was cautious when I took a gulp of it. I immediately felt it burn me, burn my mouth, burn my tongue. My mouth was on fire.
‘When I spit it out in the bathroom sink, it was blood.”
The resort apologised and offered her and her boyfriend a meal and a massage, according to reports.